Ad restrictions can be one of the biggest challenges that any marketer ever faces. Are you wondering how to remove restrictions on a Facebook ad account and succeed with ad campaigns?
What is a Facebook Ad Account Restriction?
How to remove restrictions on your Facebook ad account? Well, the first step is to understand what a restricted Facebook ad account is. A Facebook ad account restriction is a limitation that is placed on an advertiser’s ability to use Facebook’s advertising platform. Restrictions can be imposed for a number of reasons, including policy violations, suspicious activity, or billing issues.
How can you know when your account will be restricted? There are three main types of Facebook ad account restrictions:
- Policy Violations: This is the most common reason for a Facebook ad account restriction. Advertisers may be restricted if their ads violate Facebook’s advertising policies. How to figure out what violates the policy? Anything on prohibited products, explicit or inflammatory content, deception, and misinformation can get flagged.
- Suspicious Activity: Facebook may place restrictions on an ad account if it suspects that the account has been hacked or is being used for malicious purposes. This could include things like running ads that are not approved by the advertiser, or using bots to inflate ad impressions or clicks.
- Billing Issues: Facebook may restrict an ad account if the advertiser has not paid their bills or if their payment information is invalid.
So, let’s say that, whatever the reason, your account was restricted. Are you now wondering how to remove restrictions on your Facebook ad account? You will need to consider several factors, the first of which is identifying the reason.
Identifying the Reason for Your Ad Account Restriction
So, how can you as a marketer figure out why a restriction was placed on your Facebook ad account? Follow this quick step-by-step guide on what to do:
- Go to the Business Manager page.
- Click on the Settings in the top right corner.
- Go to Advertising and then Ad Accounts.
- Tap on the name of the ad account that is restricted.
- Click on Restrictions.
How to Remove Restrictions on a Facebook Ad Account
Now that we have settled on the reasons that could get your Facebook account restricted, let’s see what can be done about it once it’s happened. If you’re still wondering how to remove restrictions on a Facebook ad account, here are our instructions on what to do, based on our years of experience in the field.
Step 1: Resolving Policy Violations
The first step for everyone wondering how to remove the restrictions on their Facebook ad account is to resolve any policy violation issues that may be present. How can you do this? By reviewing, understanding, and resolving the policy violation in your ad account. First, find out what went wrong:
- Review the notification from Facebook. The notification from Facebook will usually explain the reason for the policy violation.
- Review your ads. If you think that your ads may have violated Facebook’s advertising policies, review them carefully and make sure that they comply with the rules.
- Check your targeting. If you think that your targeting may have been too broad or too narrow, check your settings and make sure that you are targeting the right people.
- Contact Facebook for clarification. If you are still not sure why your Facebook ad was rejected, you can contact Facebook for clarification.
Once you understand the reason for the policy violation, you can take steps to correct the issue:
- Change the ad creative. If the ad creative is the problem, you can change it to something that complies with Facebook’s advertising policies.
- Change the targeting. If the targeting is the problem, you can change it to target a more specific audience.
- Remove the ad. If you cannot fix the issue, you can remove the ad from your ad account.
Once you have corrected the issue, you can request a Review of your ad. Here are the steps on how to make such a request and have the restriction on your Facebook ad account removed:
- Go to your Business Manager.
- Click on Settings.
- Tap on Advertising and then Ad Accounts.
- Click on the name of the restricted ad account.
- Go to Restrictions.
- Click on Request a Review.
- Wait until the platform reviews your case.
Step 2: Addressing Billing or Payment Problems
Payment can also be a major problem that results in a Facebook ad account restriction. Here are our tips on how to identify and remove billing-related issues in your Facebook ad account:
- Check your payment method. Make sure that the payment method you have on file with Facebook is valid and up-to-date. If your payment method has expired or has been declined, your ads will not be able to run. How to fix this? Update your payment method. If your payment method has expired or has been declined, you can update it in your Facebook Business Manager settings.
- Check your billing threshold. The billing threshold is the amount of money that Facebook will charge you before it sends you a bill. If your billing threshold is too low, your ads may stop running and it even can result in a restriction. Remove this obstacle simply by increasing your billing threshold.
- Check your ad spending. If you have been spending a lot of money on Facebook ads, your ad account may be restricted because Facebook has reached its daily spending limit. You can increase your daily spending limit by contacting Facebook support.
- Check for payment errors. Sometimes, there can be errors with your payment method that prevent Facebook from charging you. If you see an error message when you try to run an ad, check with your bank or credit card company to make sure that there are no problems with your account.
Step 3: Dealing with Suspicious Activity
Suspicious activity can sometimes be the worst-case scenario. How can you safeguard yourself from this risk? Follow our tips on how to secure your Facebook ad account and ensure that it is not compromised:
- Use strong passwords and two-factor authentication. This will make it more difficult for someone to hack into your account.
- Review your ad account activity regularly. Look for any suspicious activity, such as unauthorized logins or changes to your ad settings.
- Report any suspicious activity to Facebook immediately. You can do this by going to the Help Center and clicking on the Report a Problem link.
- Change your password if you think your account has been compromised. You should also change your password for any other accounts that use the same password.
If you do notice anything suspicious, you can take these measures:
- Go to the Facebook Help Center.
- Select Report a Problem.
- Click on My Account.
- Tap on the My Account Was Hacked or I Think It Was Hacked option.
- Follow the instructions to verify your account ownership.
- Once your account has been verified, you can report suspicious activity.
- Contact support if the issue is still not resolved.
Preventing Future Restrictions: Best Practices & Verified BM Accounts
Now that we know how to remove restrictions on Facebook ad accounts, let’s see how this issue can be prevented. How to make sure your account never gets restricted in the first place? Here are some of the best practices to maintain a healthy ad account and avoid future restrictions:
- Read and understand Facebook’s ad policies. This is the most important thing you can do to avoid restrictions. Facebook’s ad policies are constantly changing, so it is important to stay up-to-date.
- Use approved ad creatives and target your ads correctly. Do not use any ad creative that has been rejected by Facebook in the past and don’t target broadly.
- Pay your bills on time. Do not let your ad account go into debt.
- Buy a verified Business Manager account. A verified Business Manager account is less likely to be restricted by Facebook and also comes with numerous advantages. You can check 5 Benefits of Using a Verified Facebook Business Manager for Your Ecommerce Business.